Saturday, March 14, 2015

Winter?

This was February last year.  I needed a sled to get up and down the steps outside our house! 


You can see the piles of snow around the eagle and more snow falling in the background.


This was February this year.  No snow on the ground, and our little crocuses decided it was okay to come out.  Not good!

We have had the mildest, warmest winter on record.  It seems very weird when everyone I know in the lower 48 is having snow, snow, and more snow.  Although I am not crazy about being super cold and slogging through snow and ice and slush every day, it worries me that our climate is changing so drastically.  Have you read this article about the little town of Shishmaref on the verge of falling into the sea?  If that doesn't give you pause, I worry about you.


It's Spring Break here in Unalaska, and winter finally decided to descend upon us yesterday.  March 13.  Friday, March 13.  :)  This was the view out our bedroom window before I drove off in a blizzard to go to work.  (Side note: I never had to have 4WD before living in Alaska, and I always have trouble putting the truck into gear. Why can I not remember that it needs to go into H4, not L4?  Almost every time I have to switch it over, I have to ask Rich, "Now what do I do again?!" For a smart girl, I somehow have a mental block about 4 wheel drive).

Welcome, winter...just in time for spring.

Sorry for the long absence from the blog. I have had a few faithful readers send me a note and ask me what's up.  I think I am just a bit bored with the whole thing lately and having trouble finding anything to write about.  We are rocking along with life as usual, mostly working, planning our next big trip (which I will talk about soon!) and thinking seriously about retirement in the next year.  Yippeee!  What's new in your little corner of the world?




No comments: