Sunday, September 27, 2009

Snow on the Mountains, Happy Birthday, Anne, and it's Blueberry Bash Time

Friday night we went to a birthday party for Anne. As we were looking out the window, we caught sight of this eagle perched at the tip of one of our few trees, with the new snow evident on the top of the mountain. Rich slipped out to get a few photos. I am not ready for winter!

Happy birthday, Anne! Pipa made a delicious chocolate cake and we all laughed so hard playing "Apples to Apples."
Today was the annual Blueberry Bash. Rich made some beautiful blueberry peach tarts with vanilla-bean and lemon pastry cream. Dee-lish!

We were watching "America's Test Kitchen" a month or so ago and they were making a raspberry chiffon pie. I thought, "hmmmm, maybe that could be adapted for blueberries," so I tried one out last weekend. Not bad! The first layer is a blueberry compote, the second layer is blueberry chiffon, and it's topped off with homemade whipped cream. I decided to cut out a piece or two so that the judges could actually see the layers. Well, that was a mistake because the pieces did not come out cleanly and it was a big ole mess. Oh well! I felt a little weird entering a pie with a piece missing but the layers were visible that way and I hoped for the best.

Sarah and Kristine worked hard at the event!

A close-up of Rich's tarts.

Congratulations to Rich, who took 3rd place in tarts and pies, winning some nice little plates. He's trying out some of the entries here, in the post-contest eat-a-thon.

Debbie won prizes in three different categories and took the "Best Overall" award as well. Wow! I barely had the energy to make one thing! Good job, Debbie!

Enjoying the goodies.

Rich and Anne
Sonia and Melanie, whose daughter Mandy won 3rd in the youth category for her muffins. Congrats, Mandy!
Guess what won first place in pies and tarts?! Yep, that messy little chiffon pie. I was pretty shocked but excited! Everyone was teasing Rich that I beat him but he was really happy for me. What a nice guy. :) One person did ask me, "So, did you make that or did he?" It's my own fault since I tell everyone that I never cook or bake. Okay, I've made an exception for the Blueberry Bash two years in a row now. Last year I won third place in muffins so I am moving up in the world. I already feel the pressure for next year. haha

Hope everyone had a good weekend. Eat your blueberries. They are so good for you!

10 comments:

Cookie Dough said...

It was a nice Blueberry Bash! Congratulations!!

Suzassippi said...

So, next Potluck in Texas, guess who is making dessert? Congratulations! It is pretty and looks yummy.

Lauri said...

Congrats, Jane! Looks like a really fun time...The one year that I went, everyone who entered was roped off, there were no "tastings", nothing to eat, nothing to buy, so I haven't been back since....Oh well, looks like ya'll had fun!

Kathi said...

It all looks delicious! Congratulations to you and Rich. The picture of the eagle and snow on the mountains is really pretty, too!

Gigi said...

Thanks, everyone! Lauri, that is weird. I guess I was not there that year. There was not a huge crowd this time, but everyone certainly enjoyed sampling the food! You will have to come back next year! Susan, maybe I will actually make something for the next TX potluck (you don't like my tradition of bringing a loaf of store bought French bread or salad in a bag or maybe paper goods?!)

Lauri said...

I will definitely stop in next year...had I known it was better than the year I went, I would have been there. Congrats to all the winners :)

Betty said...

Noticed that Rich looks like he has balloons on his head, see it?

I love blueberries! What a feast!
Congratulations on your WIN!

Gigi said...

Yes, my poor photography composition!

Sylvia said...

I have a official blueberry bash cookbook from 1994 - 2002. One of the recipes for Blueberry Orange Loaf is missing how much orange juice to put in (referred in the body of the recipe) Any ideas? Pam Stubbe won 2nd place in 2002 with this recipe. It sounds great and I want to give it a try.

Gigi said...

Hi Sylvia and thanks for checking in! I don't have any idea about that recipe but I can ask around. I did find this one online--have no idea if it's similar to the one you have or not, but thought I would post it.

Blueberry bread recipe with orange honey glaze.
Ingredients:

2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup boiling water
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons orange juice, divided
4 teaspoons grated orange peel, divided
1 egg
1 cup sugar
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup fresh blueberries, or frozen thawed blueberries
2 tablespoons honey
Preparation:

Put boiling water in a small boil; add butter and stir until melted. Add 1/2 cup orange juice and 3 teaspoons of the orange peel. Beat egg with sugar until light and fluffy. Add sifted dry ingredients, alternating with orange liquid; beat until smooth. Fold in berries. Bake in a greased 9- x 5- x 3-inch loaf pan in a 325 degree oven for about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Turn out onto a rack or tray. Mix 2 tablespoons orange juice with 1 teaspoon rind and the honey. Spoon over hot loaf; cool before serving.