Friday, July 18, 2008

Beware of Teenaged Eagles!



This morning, I got out of the shower and walked into the bedroom to get dressed. Staring straight at me, perched on the rail of our deck, was a HUGE, very mean looking juvenile bald eagle. He was not the least bit scared of me and I think I was the one who blinked first. haha Through the open window, I asked him what he thought he was doing on my deck, thinking the sound of my voice would shoo him away, but he just kept staring me down. Then one of his buddies came and joined him on the rail, both of them giving me the eye. I looked onto the floor of the deck to see our cat Ajax hiding under one of the chairs. Ajax is a grown cat, but he looked tiny compared to those eagles! When I yelled at Ajax to get in the house, the birds started chomping their beaks as if they were eating! I ran to the front door and opened it just a little bit, calling for Ajax and Kali to come in. I was afraid if I opened it too far, one of the eagles might have tried to come inside, too! The cats sprinted inside while the eagles continued to sit right on our porch. The stray cat, Chuckie, sat in his favorite spot on the bbq pit, so I yelled at him to get out of there, which he did. Smart boy! One of the big birds moved himself down the railing till he was right in front of the door and sat there till I left for work (the other one did fly off after the cats came in). I was kinda scared to walk outside because I thought he might attack me (which they are known to sometimes do). I hollered at him and he flew off as I left the house. I have never seen an eagle sit there for so long, unafraid and almost taunting me. LOL I would have taken a photo but I was already running late so didn't take the time. But the eagle in these photos looks very similar to the ones who terrorized us today!

1 comment:

Betty said...

I would've freaked out! You're lucky the cats came in. I think I would've hit them with the broom!
Mom