Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Frost on the Windshield

8 AM on Tuesdays, we have an all-staff meeting.  I am chronically late and I imagine my boss does not look too kindly on my weekly comments about why.  It's always something, of course. What I really cannot figure out is how the clock at home and the clock at our meeting place can be so far apart.  Last night I made up my mind that I would get up early enough, not spend too much time on the computer, not tarry over my hot tea, not spend ten minutes sitting half dressed waiting for the hot flash to pass before I put on my pants and sweater, not have to come back in the house because I forgot something.   Feeling full of myself that I was not only going to be on time, but maybe even first to arrive,  I opened the door to let the cats out. Remember all of our beautiful blooming flowers on the porch?  The poor little darlings were shivering in their frosty  snow-covered pots.   OH NO.  I hurried to the car and, sure enough, there was a freakin' inch of ice on my windshield.  "So sorry I am late, but I certainly was NOT expecting to have to scrape the car windows this morning...."    

Early voting started yesterday in Alaska.  Get out there and vote--don't wait till Election Day and risk something coming up to prevent your participation.   There's early voting in lots of states so check your local information and see if you can take advantage of this opportunity.  I just found out that I am going to Anchorage for my job next week so I am definitely going to vote before I go.  It would be just my luck to get stranded due to plane problems or weather issues  (see previous post about When Air)  and not get home in time.  I am taking no chances!

Our local radio station had a GREAT pledge drive.  Our goal was $10,000 and we raised $18,000!   Thanks to a certain friend of mine from Mississippi who pledged a membership from afar--now that's some support!  Your cool  KUCB sweatshirt will be on its way tomorrow. I heard a rumor that some of the guys from "The Deadliest Catch" will be wearing those sweatshirts this season.  You know that will make them the latest fashion trend.  :) Speaking of "The Deadliest Catch," the brother of one of my coworkers  is on one of the boats this year and their whole family was video-ed at the dock, saying goodbye.   Now I will get sucked into watching the darned thing again.


2 comments:

Suzassippi said...

I know--who would have thought there would be ice and snow in Alaska as winter is coming on? LOL I refer you back to Rich's blog of "winter coming on" for a brief review. :) Sounds like another exciting year of the Deadliest Catch bringing civilization to Alaska. Ha!

Rider said...

You get the credit for the idea and I just tell it as I see it. I have no idea how grandmom and grandpop got up everyday at the crack of dawn