Friday, July 24, 2009

Friday and all's well

It's that time of year when the eagles are hanging out looking for fish.  I came home today and they were in the yard, just sitting there.  Not scared of me at all, and in fact, posed for some photos.

This one is perched on the Cat Clubhouse, while Ajax chills in a deck chair.  I guess they worked out an arrangement.  Ajax was not stalking the bird and the bird was not clicking its beak at Ajax.  Meanwhile, Kali was under the deck, keeping both eyes on the scene from a distance.

We did try to get the cats to come in the house but they are brave little souls and think they can weather any sort of bird attack.  I hope we don't have to find out if that is true or not.

We've had some big rains and a little bit of sunshine this week.  I am about to go to the deck barbeque at the hotel and I think I will need my jacket, or at least we have to make sure the big outside deck heaters are on! Funny, huh?   
Thanks to a big group effort with my mom, my sister and me, we managed to get my sister's plane ticket rearranged and two mileage tickets for my niece Alana and nephew Eli to come with her to Unalaska. Yes! They will arrive on August 12 and stay for a week.    Get ready for your Alaskan adventure!

I finished reading an excellent book called King Leopold's Ghost, about the Belgian king's horrific treatment of people in the Congo and the individuals who stood up against him. I had no idea about this history.  And I will never understand how some people can treat others so terribly.  I would love to get inside their heads and figure out their thinking.  It's one of the best books I've read in a long time--go get it!  :)   I am not doing too well on the 100 book challenge but trying to catch up lately.

We're having a little party on Sunday evening but I can't reveal the details just yet.   Happy weekend, everyone!

4 comments:

Betty said...

I would be worried that the eagles would get the cats but the cats look pretty bird savvy. Hope you have warm weather for Kath's visit. Enjoy your post as always!

Cookie Dough said...

Wow..such brave kitties! Very cute pics. You know we never see eagles in my neighborhood, maybe too far from the ocean?

Kathi said...

We are ready for our Alaska adventure! I love the eagle pictures- awesome birds they are. I just can't imagine having them in my yard. In Texas we do get vultures in our yard, and they're kinda cool in their own creepy way. :)

Akutan's April Dawn said...

OMG.. I used to have a cat that looked just like that when I was a kid!!! Brings back some great memories... I almost want a cat just like that again (except I think we overfed him because he was a HUGE garfeild sized cat!!)

Thanks for that pic, brought a smile to my face and some great memories!!!