Monday, July 27, 2009

No More Pallin' around with the Palins. Resignation Celebration Sunday!

We are not Sarah Palin fans.   Honestly, before she was tapped to be the VP candidate for the Republicans, we were probably pretty neutral about her.   Once she entered that limelight, however, our opinions quickly changed. The reasons are way too numerous to sour my post about something HAPPY--a party to celebrate her resignation!  Across the state, it sounds like there were similar gatherings, sometimes called "screen door" parties--as in "don't let the screen door hit you...."   Many Alaskans have had enough of Sarah.  

I was hoping we could have an outdoor party since our house is so small.  It was not to be--rainy, windy, foggy yesterday, so we moved inside and had a good time anyway.   Above, Donna, Melanie, Judi and Matt are working diligently on their Palin Trivia Quiz.

Rosie, Donna, Melanie and Judi

Willie and his lovely girls Karen and Wilma visiting from the Philippines.

Rich is back in the kitchen, where he remained most of the evening, fixing his delicious halibut tacos to rave reviews from all.    He also mixed up a white wine peach/mango sangria to go with the tacos.  There's Char, and Haleigh who's home from college for the summer.

Poor Eric didn't even get a seat.  He's also home from college.  Eric and Haleigh both filled us in on life in New York City where they are attending separate colleges and gaining lots of wonderful experiences.  We are proud of them!

Kristine and Max, who fell asleep in the car on the way over and slept through the whole shindig.  She had to wake him up to go home!  Sweet little guy.  He probably enjoyed sleeping more and would have been bored with the political discussion anyway.  

I wanted to make a game of "pin the lips on the pit bull" but didn't get it done.  Darn, wouldn't that have been a hoot?   Here are a few questions from the trivia quiz:  

Name all of Sarah's children
Name Bristol's baby daddy
Todd is known as the "First ______"
Sarah is known to read which magazines and newspapers?
Sarah told which other female candidate to suck it up and quit whining?
Sarah can see __________ from her house.
Those were the easy ones.    :)

Logan and Monica also stopped by after working on their scuba diving certification.  These two are heading for Kenya to work in an orphanage soon.  I love all of these committed young people.  Definitely gives me hope for the future!

Sorry I am blocking this photo as I move into the kitchen but I wanted to show Lynn, in the purple, who won the trivia contest.   She was pretty cutthroat and did not want anyone cheating off her paper.  I wonder how she was in high school.  Congrats, Lynn, you are a Palin expert!   

As you can see, we need a bigger house.  We rarely have people over because there is no room!  In fact, other than book club, I think this is the first real gathering we've had since our wedding reception four and a half years ago.  I think we need to petition Unisea for a larger dwelling, don't you?

You can always count on lots of good food at a potluck and this was no exception.   Fruit, cheese, dips, tabouleh, bread, spreads and a fabulous kahlua cake rounded out the selections.   

I had a great time making a playlist of songs appropriate for the occasion, including:
It's All Over Now, Baby Blue
Should I Stay or Should I Go?
Road to Nowhere
Communication Breakdown
Runaway
Bye, Bye, Blackbird
A Change Would do You Good
You're So Vain
Get on Your Boots
and many more--in fact, four hours worth!   Who would have thought?!   We really didn't pay much attention to them since we were having more fun talking but I am really proud of my extensive list and am listening to it right now as I am posting.    What a dork, I know.

So, farewell to Ms. Palin and we look forward to seeing what's next.  A talk show on Fox?  A reality show?(You know I already suggested "Pallin' Around with the Palins" months ago).  Stirring up hate of anyone not from the "real" parts of our country as she headlines right wing rallies all over the US?  Oh, yeah, and there's that possible Presidential bid.   I kinda hope she does run.  It would keep all of the comedians in business.

8 comments:

Cookie Dough said...

You pretty much summed it up about SP...will be interesting to see what's next on her agenda!
Donna needs to make dessert for our picnic...not necessarily the same one..but you're a GREAT baker!
And you know! I'd be willing to BUY those tacos..and I think the rest of the town would too!! HINT HINT!!

Gigi said...

I'll pass the word along about the tacos. :) That dessert was amazing!

Suzassippi said...

Miss these get-togethers myself. :) Hmm...I wonder if it is an omen that the word verification is "fancytex" LOL

Kathi said...

Wish I could've been there! Sounds like a great time and lots of laughs. My bet is Sarah is taking the next 3 plus years to study up so that she can look intelligent in the next election. But as Forrest Gump said, "Stupid is as stupid does."

Betty said...

Looks like you fit everyone in! Know you had a great time!

Alaska Steve said...

That looked like a blast! What a fun group you had, I wish I could have made it - next time!

Sweet P said...

What a great idea for a party! Living on the East Coast I didn't even know who Sarah was before she was picked at the VP nominee. I would have seriously failed the trivia quiz.

Tell Judi that Paula in NH says hi!

alaskagal98 said...

AWWWWW ... can't believe I missed Sarah's goodbye party!!! I would have brought over party horns!!