Sunday, July 12, 2009

Summer

It's my favorite time of year in Unalaska.  The hills are getting greener and greener by the day, wildflowers are blooming all over the island,  the sun is shining (sometimes) and (hat and gloves to the contrary),  it is 'warm' outside.    Rich and I both went right back to work on Thursday after arriving home on Wednesday evening.  He had a fancy dinner to do and I was running a little behind on organizing our next fun event for Channel 8.   Have you ever seen the show "Cash Cab," where taxi passengers answer trivia questions for money?  We are doing our own version called "Unalaska Prize Ride" on July 18 so I spent Thursday and Friday making phone calls and driving around town to get sponsors and prizes for the show.  As always, Unalaska businesses are very generous and it didn't take long to have a load of goodies to give away.  If you are a local, give us a call or flag us down on the 18th and let's see how smart you are!

Friday evening we went to the deck barbeque at the hotel.   Wednesday night Seafood Buffet is amazing, the Sunday Brunch is fabulous, but my real favorite is the deck barbeque every Friday night during the summer.  There's always a great selection of food and it's fun to sit outside with a group of friends and enjoy the evening.   Which is what we did.

We are back on our healthy kick, eating much less and only good-for-us food.   We both turned 55 on vacation, which means we are entitled to use the Community Center for nothing.  FREE!  I was so excited that I went right over on Friday, got my ID, and walked the track for 45 minutes.   :)    Saturday, Rich worked for several hours and then we decided to take a hike since it was a pretty day.   We drove out up the pass and hiked part of the river valley trail to the Peace of Mind cabin, though we did not have time to go all the way down.   Still, we got a nice little workout to get us back on track.   Driving the rest of the way around the pass, Rich caught this eagle flying over the hill.

One minute the fog was hiding everything from view, and the next minute a nice little window opened up.

Otherwise, we're just catching up on errands and chores and getting back into the routine.  My sister won a ticket to come and visit (you might remember Dan Young having a contest on his blog months ago) and will be spending a week with us in August.   Can't wait!  My niece and nephew want to come with her so I have been trying to work on mileage or companion fare tickets for them.  Of course, it is always WAY too complicated to get tickets to Unalaska.   I couldn't get anything to come together on the Alaska Air website last night.  Today I called AK Air and did NOT get anyone helpful.   So frustrating.   But tomorrow is another day and I know we can work it out eventually.   Think positive thoughts for us!




6 comments:

Suzassippi said...

Sounds like a perfect day! Hope the visit gets coordinated.

Alaska Steve said...

Love the picture of the eagle flying, great composition. Welcome home!

Kathi said...

I love Cash Cab and looked for it when I was in NYC. Then I got nervous that it might actually stop for me and I'd end up looking like an idiot! ha. I seem to know most of the answers at home, but actually being in the cab might be different. Thank you again, Jane, for all you're doing to get us to Unalaska. We are very excited about the trip!

Betty said...

I love Cash Cab too and like Kath, try to answer the questions too. How are you going to do it -- have people call in to the station? What fun! Good luck on the tickets!

Gigi said...

People will call the work cell phone or flag us down on the street. :)

Got tickets worked out today, thanks for your mileage!

Anonymous said...

You are a busy gal. Glad to have you back on the island.