Sunday, October 18, 2009

Never a Dull Moment

Another weekend gone! Saturday we spent a few hours at the Senior Center hawking our wares at the Arts and Crafts Show. We've been printing, matting and framing Rich's photos a little at a time and then, of course, the mad rush on the day of the event is just a given. It wasn't super busy but we sold quite a few photos and enjoyed chatting with everyone who stopped by.

Here's our friend Max, who got every bit of enjoyment possible out of his cupcake!

After the fair, we had a scrumptious dinner at the Chart Room. We have not gone out to eat in a long time! I had a spiced sangria which I really just wanted to chug-a-lug, it was so good. They're now having rotating specials and a "Top Chef" entree which includes three different preparations of the same item (this time it was beef, last time it was halibut). You get to try all three and then vote for your favorite--a fun little twist! Not only did we have a big dinner, but dessert as well (chocolate bread pudding for me and red velvet cake for Rich--aren't we bad?!) Anne and Jeanette came in and ended up sitting next to us so I donated the rest of my dessert to them. I was way too full.

Saturday night I could not sleep. I got out of bed and literally spent the whole night researching family on ancestry.com. Amazing what you can find on that site. The census records are pretty comprehensive and many relatives have been easily found, though it's getting harder the further back I go. I finally went to sleep from 6:30 to 9:30 AM! Crazy. Talked with my mom later and she filled in some more gaps for me, enabling me to find my ancestors Kunigunde and Johann Brumbach on a passenger list arriving in New York from Bremen, Germany in 1878. Pretty exciting!

I should have been finishing my book club book instead of trolling old census records and draft notices and passenger rolls. Off to book club anyway, where I was not the only one who hadn't finished, so it was all good.

Tomorrow is the National Day of Writing. My friend Susan set up a gallery for those of us who want to contribute a piece on the topic of "culture, geographic location, a sense of place, and relationship between and among people and communities in the pursuit of social justice and equality." Click here if you want to join our gallery: http://galleryofwriting.org/galleries/511900. You may also set up your own at the Gallery of Writing http://www.galleryofwriting.org Although folks are encouraged to participate in the day of writing tomorrow, the galleries will be open for submission till June so you still have plenty of time!

It's a busy week at work--our radio pledge drive! Support community radio and join or renew your membership in KUCB 89.7 FM! We'll have live musicians in the studio all week, then a big ONE DAY drive on Friday, the 23rd. See KUCB's website at www.kucb.org or blog at www.kucb.wordpress.com for more info. You can even pledge online on the website, talk about EASY!

Happy Monday!

7 comments:

alaskagal98 said...

Aww .. I can't believe I missed the Art show/sale! I really wanted to go to that! Oh well, I'm sure there will be more opportunities to look at art and buy! Looks like it was fun!

Suzassippi said...

Sounds like an exciting weekend all right! Love the picture of the goose's toilet paper--that is my favorite one!

We got our first entry for the gallery--it is a great piece and I am looking forward to whatever else we may get. How exciting to have a piece for the "day" tomorrow, and it is about writing!

Betty said...

You really are involved in a lot of projects, aren't you? Your pictures look fantastic (upside down and sideways) and I know Rich did a good photography job. Did you do any note cards this time?

Gigi said...

AG, there are a couple more arts fairs coming up for the holidays. We will be gone but there's always lots of good stuff!

Suz, I still haven't written anything but looking forward to seeing everything else that goes into many of the galleries.

Mom, we didn't do any cards. We have had a hard time finding the right paper in the right size that we can figure out how to print properly. We still have some card stock (smaller and different than those big ones we did last year) so we will see if we get anything accomplished with it. :)

Kathi said...

Great pictures! I submitted something early to the gallery, but I'm not sure it uploaded. I haven't had a chance to go back and look. MAN, retirement is busy!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, you amaze me with your enthusiasm for the busy lifestyle of Unalaska. Thank heavens we are of an age that we know how to apply the brakes once in a blue moon and cozy up for a nap.

Gigi said...

Naps are the best!