Sunday, June 5, 2011

It Must be Spring--the Pass is Finally Open!

First off, I lied about my hubby having to work all weekend so you can ignore some of my previous whining. He went in for a couple of hours this morning and was able to take the rest of the day off. In fact, I was still half asleep when he said, "I'll be back before you're up." Yeah, right, I thought. He always gets there and ends up staying way longer than he anticipated. But I woke up a little later to the smell of coffee brewing and dragged myself out of the bed.

Oh, and he'd already finished planting most of the rest of our flowers (which I did start the other day) before I got up.

We haven't had too many days off together lately so decided to take a drive over the pass, which we'd heard had just been cleared by the roads crew. We did end up buying the little Toyota truck I mentioned awhile back so we wanted to take it up in the hills. But first, a stop off to see if we could find the wild horses, and sure enough, there they were, right on the beach.


This guy was really friendly and liked to be petted. Unfortunately, we did not plan ahead and bring any apples or carrots but they were all very busy with the grass and plants anyway.





We saw 7 horses today. I know a couple have died in the last few years and I think some are off in another group but this little herd seems to stick together.


It was pretty chilly but we took a bunch of photos (way more than these but I don't want to bore you to death) and a couple of short videos that I will see if I can post later.

Then we took off to drive up and over the pass and back into town. It's still snowy up top.

It's a beautiful sight anywhere you look. We were happy to see some little green spots popping out. I can't wait till the tundra is emerald colored and the wildflowers are everywhere!

3 comments:

Betty said...

Interesting that I was there two times and never saw the horses. Guess they only like the "locals!" Did your girls ever see them? Hope you have a happy day!

Gigi said...

I think Aidan was the only one who saw them. Next time!

Kathi said...

I didn't get to see them either! I'm trying to catch up on blogs. I've posted a few poems to my writers group's thursdayworks blog, but I've been really bad about the personal ones. I love the pictures of the horses, Jane. They are such beautiful creatures, and you capture that well.