Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Computer Issues

Hi everyone,

Just a quick post to say we won't be posting much for the rest of our vacation. The hard drive on my laptop has crashed and tech support has not been able to come up with a solution that we can implement while on the road. In fact, a new hard drive is being shipped to my mom's so we can switch it out when we get back to Jersey. It really frustrates me since this was a brand new computer that my job just purchased for me a couple of months ago. Not only have I probably lost all of my work documents, but all of our vacation photos, which is--of course--the more upsetting to me. No offense to my job.

We left Atlanta on Sunday and drove to Augusta, where we met up with our old high school friend, Terri. We had a very nice visit with Terri and her sweet little mama, had a great lunch at a local spot, and a sightseeing tour of old Augusta. Thanks, Terri, for lots of fun!

From Atlanta, we drove to Charleston, where we are staying at the Mills House Inn right downtown. We parked the car on Sunday and have not been in it since. We've walked a lot and took a bus tour of the historic sights in Charleston, which taught me a great deal of information I never knew or I had forgotten. :) John Calhoun, "the original Rebel" is buried here--he apparently wanted to secede from the Union long before the Civil War ever happened. Our tour guide also told us about some early "Indian troubles," stating, "they were not our friends." I said to Rich, "No, WE were not THEIR friends," and the guide halfway overheard me and made me repeat it for the whole bus. Nothing like getting identified as the resident trouble maker right off the bat. He did acquiesce, "Well, if anyone has any right to complain, it's the Indians." I wanted to take a walking tour called "Slavery and Freedom," but we have not been able to get an answer on the phone to make a reservation, so that is probably out. Last night, we had a fabulous dinner at the Peninsula Grill, one of Charleston's best and most well known restaurants. Today we are going to do some more walking and visit one of the old historic homes, plus we need to do some laundry before we head out tomorrow. We had a ton of great photos that I cannot post now so you will just have to imagine Charleston. It is definitely old southern charm defined. Having a wonderful time other than computer withdrawal. If you are on facebook, check with me there since I will probably be more able to write a quick update instead of a blog entry.

Hope everyone is having a good week so far. I am soaking up the sun. Nice!

6 comments:

Kathi said...

Sorry to hear about your computer problems! Technology- a blessing and a curse. Cool that you were able to visit with Terri- I remember her a little. Sister to Dusty- is it? I hope the computer issues are solved soon.

Lauri said...

That is so sad about your computer...Sounds like you are having a great time....other than the computer thing!

Betty said...

At least your Vitamin D levels should rise with all that sun!! Sorry about your computer and I will be on the lookout for the package.

Gigi said...

Terri dated Dusty...she is an only child. She and Vesta are best friends from way back.

Yes, definitely getting lots of Vitamin D and a little bit of a tan!

Thanks, Lauri--wish I wasn't so attached to my computer. LOL

Kathi said...

OH- I was thinking Dusty had the same last name, but it was Vitale- or something, right? :)

Alaska Steve said...

What a bummer on the computer - it does look like you've been having a wonderful time! See you soon, safe travels - steve