Friday, June 5, 2009

Whale boots, playing outside, friends, library time, and strange noises on the roof

Aidan's time in Unalaska is winding down. Last night we went to my friend Judi's for dinner, along with Darcel, Donna and Paul, my former coworkers. They had just finished an audit from the State and were relieved to get it done. We had lots of laughs and good conversation. Aidan was bored and went out to play in Judi's yard.

He loved throwing rocks in the stream.

He switched to my whale boots yesterday. It has really amused me how much he loves wearing rain boots.

Today Aidan went to stay with Luc and Jacob while I worked half the day. It was his last time with his little buddies because they are leaving on vacation to the Philippines tomorrow. I'm glad he had the opportunity to make some friends while he was here. After dinner, we went to the library for the showing of a documentary called "The Grace Lee Project." It was a mostly lighthearted look at the stereotypes about Asian American women seen through the eyes of several who share the name of Grace Lee. Really interesting, thought provoking and humorous. Aidan watched part of it, enjoyed a handful of cookies, and then went to play in the kids' room till I was finished.

We have a wonderful kids' section which Aidan has certainly utilized while he's been here. We still have several books and dvds at home that we need to finish and turn back in!


It was still sunny tonight when we left the library so we walked across the bridge at Iliuliuk Creek and explored a bit before going home.

We bought a fat round watermelon at the store last night, which we cut open and dug into after bath time. We were interrupted by a loud banging on the roof. Yes, eagles had rescued a plastic bag full of fish parts out of someone's garbage and were wrestling with it on top of our house. They swooped over our heads when we went out to investigate. The bloody bag is still up there so I am hoping one of them will come back and get it before it rots and stinks the place up. :) Meanwhile Ajax and the neighbor's cat were sitting in the yard watching the eagles fly around. Ajax doesn't use his head around eagles and thinks he is invincible.

Here's a note from Aidan:
Hi everyone! I love you and I am having fun in Alaska! I will see you soon.

1 comment:

Suzassippi said...

What a great time! It brings back memories of the times J and I used to spend together--I had a pink corduroy newsboy cap that he used to love to wear, so we finally bought him one of his own. I love that Aidan has enjoyed the library so much, and like his Gigi, learns to make new friends wherever he goes.