Saturday, June 27, 2009

Leaving Asheville and on to Atlanta

Here are few more sights as we headed out of Asheville. I wanted breakfast and we ended up in West Asheville at the coolest little cafe where we sat out on the patio and chatted with our server. She was wearing a pink tutu with shorts under it, then had cut off a pair of pants and made little leg sleeves out of the pant legs, tied with ribbon, worn over combat boots. Loved it! Come to find out she grew up in Kenai. Her parents are still there.

Should have taken a picture of her but we left the camera in the car. Breakfast was divine--I had breakfast bread pudding with a hot compote of fresh blueberries and whipped cream on top. All home made. Rich wanted to know what made it "breakfast" bread pudding. Just the time of day, I guess. He was teasing me about having dessert for breakfast. It was delicious. And, of course, I had to have sweet tea. Man, I am going to be a sweet tea addict by the end of this trip.

We saw this on the road as we were leaving.

On to the gorgeous Blue Ridge Parkway.



We took back roads through the hills of NC and boy, did some of them wind around like crazy. It made the trip a lot slower but we really didn't mind too much. We finally arrived in Atlanta yesterday evening. We had pricelined a room and got the Marriott Marquis downtown for $75. We love priceline! We are on the 39th floor with a nice view of the city. Last night we walked to the Sweet Auburn Bistro where we had wonderful "southern" food--fried chicken, pork chops, mac&cheese, collard greens, cornmeal pancakes, peach cobbler and strawberry shortcake. Oh, and sweet tea. We could hardly walk back to the hotel.

8 comments:

Suzassippi said...

I think you should get a pink tutu and all the trimmings--after all, you are a flower child. LOL

Gigi said...

Believe me, I was tempted.

Kathi said...

Beautiful pictures as always! Yes, the pink tutu would be perfect- especially with high tops. As much as I like the heat, I'm wishing I could be driving through the mountains right about now.

Cookie Dough said...

I love Asheville! Did you make it to the Biltmore Estate?
I once took some online quiz..it said Asheville NC is the town I should live in :) So I had to check it out...It was lovely!!
Keep posting pics of your road trip!

DM said...

Your server was Meagan at Sunny Point Cafe. She's awesome. Glad you enjoyed Asheville :-)

Gigi said...

Wow, thanks, DM! She was the cutest ever. And the food there was fabulous.

Gigi said...

PS, DM--just curious about all this interconnectedness--how did you come across the blog? I think it's pretty amazing that I didn't even name the cafe or the person and you knew them both. :)

CD--no, we did not make it to the Estate. Asheville keeps coming up when we search for places to live after AK as well.

Kathi said...

That is very cool that someone out there knew the server you mentioned. I'm also interested in knowing how he/she found your blog and knew about that particular cafe!