Monday, September 8, 2008

Photos from Glacier Bay and we arrive in Anchorage













We are back in Anchorage after rising very early this morning and taking a two and a half hour train ride from Whittier. We sat with a couple from Michigan who asked us many of the usual questions, including another one I forgot to add to the last blog entry, "do you have many Eskimos living there?" It's a little annoying that people think all Alaska Native individuals are "Eskimos" when there are very diverse Native cultures across this huge state. And "Eskimo" is not necessarily the preferred terminology for the Yup'ik people, who typically don't live in the Aleutians unless they have moved there from elsewhere in Alaska. But maybe I am too critical and I think, for the most part, folks are just curious and we can take the opportunity to educate them a bit. :)

We arrived at the Egan Center in downtown Anchorage at 10 or so this morning and could not get into our hotel till after lunch. We walked to the 5th Street mall and I got to spend my Hallmark gift card, which was a bday present from my mom that I've been holding onto till I came across a Hallmark store. Those of you who know me well will know that I was in heaven as I tried to stock up on a variety of cards for many occasions since we have NO selection in Dutch Harbor! We hit the food court and then walked back to the Egan Center to wait till we could go to the hotel. We are now relaxing in our room and trying to decide what we are going to do for the rest of the day. It's beautiful, sunny and semi-warm outside. :)

Here are some photos and a little video from Glacier Bay.

1 comment: