Sunday, March 29, 2009

Should we take bets on when we will get out of here?

Cool ice walls around picnic tables in a park downtown.


Not that I don't enjoy Anchorage, but it would be good to get where we need to be! Since we were pretty much destined to remain here today, we decided to rent a car and get out and about. First we pricelined a room for tonight and were given the same hotel (Millennium) for a cheaper rate than we paid last night--woohoo! We didn't even have to change rooms. We took the hotel shuttle back to the airport to get the rental car and the airport was quite a spooky looking place. No one at the counters at Alaska Air, pretty dark all around, though there were a few people waiting for who knows what. Technically, the whole airport was closed.

We spent the day running around town, did some shopping and browsing, ate lunch and dinner out, and saw the movie "Duplicity." It was pretty cute and we enjoyed seeing a movie in a theater for a change! I also bought four books at Borders so maybe I will catch up on my 100 book challenge while waiting for planes or flying on planes (that's the optimist speaking).

I called Alaska Air tonight and was told that no planes went to Seattle today, tomorrow is unknown but all flights are sold out, including the "milk run" that we missed this morning. We were advised to keep our reservations for Tuesday but to check back tomorrow just in case some more flights get added or seats open up.

There were some greyish clouds hanging over the city today but I really didn't notice a lot of ash or grit when we were walking around. Hopefully it is dissipating.

One thing I love about Alaska is that we run into people we know no matter where we go! It's crazy--such a big state but it feels like a small town at the same time. We've seen folks from Unalaska, a friend from Dillingham, and one of my former bosses.

Tomorrow is a little iffy....we will have to play it by ear and see if we can find a flight out, but I am not feeling too hopeful. I never thought I would be happy about a confirmed seat on TUESDAY but now I have to admit I am very grateful for it.

5 comments:

Suzassippi said...

At least you are making the best of the situation! Love the ice walls, though that is really hard to imagine! It is cold here this morning, but the sun is out and the high is expected at 70--maybe some of that will go your way!

Cookie Dough said...

Gigi..what's going on?? We hear the airport is closed, then we hear it's open again??

Gigi said...

Ah, it's been one thing after another today. Our flight was cancelled, as were all flights to SEA. But for some reason, they were sending people to Honolulu. I don't know why they could take off to go to HI but not to WA. If it's not safe, it's not safe, right??!! Frustrating.....

We considered switching to Hawaii. LOL

Betty said...

Wow! Here I'm telling everyone you're already in Oregon. Knowing you two though, you're finding adventures where you are. Is your boss with you or just you & Rich?

Gigi said...

Just Rich and me since we left early in hopes of seeing George and Nadine before my conference. Lauren (boss) flies tomorrow if all goes well. We are trying tomorrow and have confirmed seats for Wed. but if we don't make it by then, we will probably just go back home. Of course, that might take another week!