Sunday, March 29, 2009

Vacationing in Anchorage

So we get up at 5:30 AM to get ready to go to the airport. Because I hate getting up early, I took my shower last night and put my hair up on top of my head in hopes that I would not have the worst bedhead in the world this morning. That hope was not realized. While Rich showered, I got dressed and checked emails, including a message indicating that our flight was cancelled. I checked Alaska Air online and sure enough, it confirmed that fact. Next, back on the phone with AK Air to see what the deal was, and when we might reschedule. I was told "all planes are cancelled, the airport is closed, and the next available flight to Seattle is Tuesday at 3 PM." Okay, we will take it! The good news is that it's non-stop. The bad news is that it's two days off. :) I was also told we could keep calling the airport to find out if it had opened back up and it is possible that some extra flights will be added once the planes start flying again.

We went to breakfast at 6:30 and just got back to our room. Now our dilemma is whether we should reserve a room for another night or go hang out at the airport this afternoon and try to get on a flight. IF the airport opens. Since it is still so darned early, we can put this decision off a little longer.

Rich watched "The Dark Knight" last night while I was mostly on the computer, though I did catch a little bit of it. We figure we can get in another movie this morning and it will still be early when it's finished. LOL Personally, I think I am ready for a nap.

3 comments:

Suzassippi said...

So, when IS that conference?

Alaska Steve said...

So glad you guys have at least made Anchorage! I can tell you are just enjoying the journey, no matter what - a good sense of humor is the most important thing to pack on a vacation, don't you think?

I just watched the Dark Night last week - that was quite a performance by Heath Ledger, I thought. You guys keep smiling, we'll miss you at club tonight!

Gigi said...

Conference starts on Wed. morning. We could still make it, though I will not get to visit with Rich's family. We've lost our Portland flight altogether so the plan is to rent a car in Seattle and drive the rest of the way!

Hope book club was good, Steve!

Yes, where would we be without a sense of humor?! We've done what we can do and the rest is out of our control so might as well enjoy ourselves!