Sunday, March 28, 2010

Weekend Update

Rich took this photo during some of the big snowstorms we had a few weeks ago. The eagles are perched on some crab pots.

Today we got up early and went to hear local birding expert Suzi Golodoff speak about birds of the Aleutians at the science conference. A few years ago, I took part in the annual bird count but we've been off island the last couple of times it's taken place. I would love to know more about the many different birds we have out here--I can recognize some but definitely do not have as much knowledge as I would like.

It was a beautiful day so we went for a drive and took some photos.

While I was still in Texas, Rich caught this whale swimming in the bay in front of our house. It wouldn't come up out of the water for him to get a great shot but it was exciting just to see one so close.


Back to today--some pictures of the Holy Ascension Cathedral, our historic Russian Orthodox Church.


Here's the Grand Aleutian Hotel, where Rich works.

And a bunch of eagles in our little dead tree forest

We had lots of good intentions today but I ended up reading awhile and then taking a nap on the couch. Rich was also reading and later took his own nap. Meanwhile, the day passed on by. He made us a nice pot of soup and we then got him signed up for Facebook. Yes, I finally talked him into it. :)

My cute little grandson Aidan had his first baseball game in Texas today. I wish I could have been there to cheer him on. I tried to call and talk with him after reading on Susan's FB that he hit the ball and got to first base! Hurrah, Aidan! But no answer on the phone so I hope I can reach him tomorrow. He will be having his 7th birthday in a few days--hard to imagine!

3 comments:

Suzassippi said...

Great pictures, Rich!

Yeah Aidan! I can't believe he is going to be 7 either. The picture of him I have on my dresser is when he was about 3 months old!

Kathi said...

Beautiful pictures- all of them! Thanks for sharing. Sounds like Aidan's enjoying baseball- Susan, too. That's great!

Alaska Steve said...

Great pictures - I love the one of the church framed by branches taken from Haystack - brilliant!