Monday, April 18, 2011

Napa, Yountville and St. Helena

On Tuesday we went back into town and had breakfast (me)/lunch (Rich) at Sweetie Pie's. Then we took a drive to Yountville and spent a few hours walking around.


Spring is definitely in the air


There's a little art walk through town


Rock mushrooms outside the Post Office


Grapevines right in town...barely starting to bloom


More art


We stopped in Thomas Keller's Bouchon Bakery for an iced tea and a macaron. The place was PACKED! We also bought some pastries for the next morning.

Enjoying my snack and the sunshine

Thomas Keller's world famous restaurant The French Laundry. It's been ranked #1 in the US many times in the past 15 years (quoting my husband). It's hard to get into and very pricey. We had to settle for walking by.

The French Laundry even has its own garden across the street. We had a fun day and purchased a few things to bring home with us.

That night we drove over to St. Helena to have dinner at another chef's place, Cindy Pawlcyn's Backstreet Kitchen. Our friend Keils used to live in Unalaska and now works in St. Helena (he's a physician assistant with an orthopedic group) so we got in touch and arranged to meet.

It was great fun catching up with Keils and we enjoyed our meal. My friends know my onion aversion and the first two items I wanted were onion laden and couldn't be cut. I finally decided on the chicken fried steak, of all things. It was huge and overdone. I wasn't thrilled with it but everything else was really nice. :)

Dessert!

No comments: