Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Relay for Life


Many of you know that our granddaughter Emery was diagnosed with neuroblastoma, a form of childhood cancer, when she was just 6 weeks old. She is now a healthy, happy, busy 17 month old (see her mom's blog here to catch up), for which we are grateful beyond words! But during the time of Emery's treatment and recovery, two more babies in their home town of Amarillo have also been diagnosed with neuroblastoma. It sounds like both of them are doing well, but my heart goes out to those families as I remember all that Emery (and her parents) had to go through.

In June, Bonnie, David and Emery are participating in Amarillo's Relay for Life fundraiser for the American Cancer Society as team members for a little guy named Jude and his grandpa. We're asking for donations to help combat all cancers--I think each and every one of us has either battled this nasty disease personally or experienced it with a loved one. I am shocked to count up the number of my family members and dear friends who have come face to face with cancer, some of whom are doing beautifully and some of whom we lost way too young and through way too much suffering. I don't know if we will see a cancer-free world in my lifetime but I would be thrilled if it came to pass. Hoping and wishing is not enough, though--we need lots of research and lots of dedicated people working on a cure.

If you'd like to make a donation, click here for Emery's page, here for Bonnie's or here for David's. Thank you!

No comments: