Thursday, April 2, 2009

Ahhhh, Portland!

Here are some shots of Juneau from the plane yesterday.


So glad to be in Portland! What a week we have had! Rich got up early this morning and took off for Sutherlin to see George and Nadine. I've had a great day at the Community Radio Conference with a very cool, creative, diverse group of people. I think this is just what I needed to feel re-invigorated about being in the workforce in general. I have to admit that the last few social work conferences or "professional" conferences that I attended were just not all that satisfying. We have to get continuing ed credits so we go to these conferences and, most of the time, they are boring or repetitive or downright disheartening. This one reminded me of social work meetings "back in the day" when we were almost renegades of a sort, activists, a little bit on the edge, working for social justice. Kinda makes me think that social work has lost some of its heart. We wanted to be recognized as a profession and now we are just as staid and predictable and boring as every other professional organization. (I know, that's a hugely stereotypical and generalized statement). Or maybe I haven't been to the right social work conference in awhile. But here, wow, I am inspired! Community radio stations are out there stating their commitment to peace and equality and social justice and inclusion and diversity and bringing a voice to those who don't get a voice anywhere else. This is "community" in the biggest and best sense of the word.

One session today was on "nonviolence and culture change." At a radio conference. How cool is that? I also attended a session on using new media such as facebook and twitter so that's another area where I will be testing the waters for our station. I picked up some info about free programs that are available to us, met lots of interesting people from all over the country, had a free lunch and saw some folks get some awards (I am such a newbie that I don't know who anyone is, but they were pretty amazing anyway). Honestly, I don't think I have enjoyed training or continuing ed this much in YEARS!

Tonight I took a stroll downtown, browsed for a good long time at Powell's Books, one of the biggest and best independent bookstores around, bought two books and some bday cards. I love that store. If you are ever in Portland, check it out (they're online, too). Had a huge slice of cheese pizza (thick crust, not soggy, thick tomato sauce, lots of cheese--pretty close to perfection!) and a coke at a small pizza joint across the street from Powell's, all for the price of $5, including tip. Sat there reading my book with loud music blaring in the background and lots of people hanging out--my kind of place! On the way back to the hotel in the dark, I encountered a guy screaming about evil people, but I managed to slide past him without being accosted.

I talked with the housekeeper when I stopped back by my room earlier and she was way overboard with making sure everything was nicely arranged. I got back tonight and she had even placed my book on the bed just so. Now that's someone who takes some pride in her work. One of my friends a long time ago taught me that hotel housekeepers are the one group of workers who don't typically get tips. Ever since then, we make sure we leave some money on the bed and thank them for their efforts. (A little social justice in action)

3 comments:

Suzassippi said...

Ah, "Sweet Willie and the Voice of the People." Those were some fun days. So glad you are enjoying the conference. Love the idea of community in the big sense.

Gigi said...

Wonder if Sweet Willie is still around. That was a fun trip--well, at least for two of us. :)

Betty said...

Glad the conference is good. I remember all of those boring ones too. Sometimes, I knew more of the material than the speaker. Nice housekeeper too. We've always tipped them. They put up with a lot of s*** from some people!