Friday, April 10, 2009

Lots going on, as usual

We have lots of very talented local artists, many of whom are participating in the annual Community Art Show which opened at the hotel tonight. I am always impressed with the quality of their work, whether paintings, photography, sculpture or quilting.

Char signing in. She has had a cast on her foot for the longest time but is now in a walking boot. Hopefully she will be all healed up soon.

Darlene, one of the servers in the Chart Room. Thanks, Darlene!


Rich has been up since 4 AM, bless his little heart, but went with me to the opening anyway. Not everyone got his "Shrute Farms Beets" reference (it's from The Office, in case you didn't get it either!)


We are teasing Bailey about being an Unalaska model since her photo keeps popping up on various blogs. She's being a good sport. I am holding my never-ending glass of iced tea.

Last night, we had a little cheese tasting party, but I forgot my camera so you will just have to imagine how good it was. One of the Food and Beverage managers, Laurie, discovered some great bleu cheese while she was down south and had the company send some samples to the restaurant. Rich put together a nice selection of items to be paired with the cheeses and Lisa, the other F&B manager, chose some appropriate wines. Joining us were the General Manager, Tom, his lovely wife Erin, and Michelle from HR. We had a great time tasting, talking and laughing. Erin invited me to come to her bunco party as a sub on Saturday night--in all of these many years, I have never played bunco and told her I didn't want anyone making fun of me if I don't know what I am doing. She asked, "can you roll dice and can you count?!" so I guess I am good to go. As long as I don't have to count too high. LOL Then later I found out that fellow blogger Cookie Dough and her new best friend Sonia will also be there. Looking forward to hanging out with the gals and having some of my husband's special chocolate bread pudding that Erin always requests for her parties.

This morning I met my friends and former coworkers, Darcel, Donna and Judi, for breakfast. We had fun catching up on all the news; I miss them but I have to say I am happy that I am no longer working there! I had lunch with the new Convention and Visitors Bureau Director, who just moved here from Texas. My gosh, I need to quit eating so much! Does every gathering have to revolve around food?? (Yes!) The CVB is hosting its annual wine tasting in a couple of weeks; Rich will be working so Anne and Jeannette are going to be my dates for the evening. Tomorrow morning the Lions Club is having its yearly Pancake Breakfast. My head is spinning with everything happening!

Work has been going great--I love, love, love my new job! I have fun there every day. How refreshing! Watch for a blog and a facebook page for the station in the next couple of weeks.

6 comments:

Cookie Dough said...

What a fun, busy post! Hilary is going to be my date to the wine tasting! Poor Sonia moves to town and I haul her to everything! Even work LOL LOL....can't let her get bored. The husbands work together, her husband said we're just a like before I even met her...lol we've worn the same outfit 2x this week..it's getting scary :)

Gigi said...

She's great, glad she is feeling right at home! We can double date to the wine tasting if you want. :)

Cookie Dough said...

ohh that'd be fun..You and I don't even like wine LOL LOL just social butterflies!

Gigi said...

Yeah, I am there for the food and the visiting. :)

Alaska Steve said...

The wine tastings are fun, we'll be there again with friends Elaine and Keri - see you there!

Gigi said...

Great, Steve--see y'all there!