Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Where is my good travel karma?

Okay, I have run through the Midland-Odessa airport too late to even check my bag and made it onto the plane right before they closed the doors. I have ended up on the wrong flight, had to abandon my luggage in Seattle on the way to DC and had the luggage actually show up with no trouble a few hours later.   I have stood in the security line forever or  arrived late for a connection and the plane was still sitting there.  Even after moving here, I have never (and I am sure this will jinx me) flown all the way from Anchorage to Unalaska and had to turn around and fly all the way back to Anchorage because of weather or visibility or any other reason.  Yes, I have had a few minor issues over the years but mostly have had really good travel karma. Things just seem to fall into place for me.   But lately, I don't know what's going on!   I have used up all my good karma for some reason.  First we had the major volcano delays and cancellations in Anchorage a few weeks back.  What a nightmare!  

Today I was scheduled to fly to Anchorage at 4 PM, catch a plane to Seattle at 10:30 PM, spend most of the night in the SEA-TAC airport (not my favorite thing to do, but why rent a hotel room for a few hours?) and travel on to Dallas, arriving at 1:15 PM tomorrow.   On Thursday, Sarah, Elle and I are supposed to fly to Amarillo to see Bonnie and Dave.   

Around 2 PM today, I called the airport to make sure the 4 PM flight was still on and there weren't any complications.  It was a gorgeous day in Unalaska, sunny and warm (for us).  In what now appears to be foreshadowing, I even said, "I know that weather is not an issue, but just wanted to make sure there aren't any mechanical problems holding any planes back or anything like that!"   I was assured that, while the planes were running a little late (what else is new?), everything was fine and we should be going.   Rich took me to check in early, then we came back home for awhile and stopped by the store to get some snacks for my trip, returning to the airport at 3:45  since the plane was not supposed to arrive from ANC till 4.  Rich went back to work and the plane landed and I watched the luggage get loaded and our flight was announced and we all traipsed across the runway and said hi to the flight attendant and found our seats.   While I was watching the luggage being loaded, I noticed that the guys were really cramming stuff in and, in fact, couldn't fit everything.  Then our seat assignments were rearranged for weight and balance, which always kinda worries me.  How do they know for sure where to put everyone?  I suppose there is a science to it and some sort of formula  and it's all good, but still.    Then the flight attendant told some people in the back that they needed to move forward to some empty seats but there weren't enough empty seats and one guy ended up in a back seat anyway, even after the flight attendant said they didn't want anyone in the last row.  That sorta worried me, too.  So they decided it would be okay after all?  I hate to admit it but I always envision news stories reported in a creepy voice like that dude from To Catch a Predator,  "And what went wrooonnnnngggg  on Flight Number 3279 on a bright and sunny Alaska day?"

A few minutes later, the pilot came out and said there was a mechanical problem that they needed to address.   We sat there a little longer and he came back to say it wasn't anything major but we would probably be more comfortable sitting in the terminal.  I called Rich to tell him we hadn't left but it still looked like we were going.   Another plane landed. Time passed.  We watched the ground crew unload all of the baggage, but the guy across from me said that they were putting it on the other plane so I wasn't worried.   Then came the announcement that our flight was cancelled, we could pick up our bags and come back at 10 tomorrow morning.   No. freaking. way.

I went to the counter to find out about my connections and express my worry about having to be in Dallas in time to catch that Amarillo flight.   I was put on a 1:05 PM flight tomorrow but still can't get to Dallas till 1:15 PM on Thursday.   I was (and still am!) so annoyed.   They put a few people on the later flight today but couldn't fit me in, saying they were taking the international passengers instead.   Rich was most surprised when I called to say he needed to come and get me!   He took me out to Amelia's for dinner so I would quit being bitchy.  LOL

Talked with Sarah and she was sweet enough to say that she would rather we be safe.   Now she will have to meet me at DFW all ready to go and we will hope that I get in in time to make the Amarillo flight.  So much for spending the first night in Dallas and getting a little rest after the 24 hour trip.

As I have said before, stay tuned for more travel adventures.   Sweet dreams, everyone.

4 comments:

Suzassippi said...

I think you are right--you may have used it alllllll up. Next time, book the ferry. You will get there sooner. LOL Hope all goes well today and you get to Dallas just fine. Have fun.

Sarah Durham said...

ARRRRR! Hope all goes well with your flight arrangements today. Keep me posted. LOve you!

Alena Hope said...

I'm sending you good travel juju, hopefully it works. I have pretty good luck and in 21 years have only had minor delays and cancellations usually on flights I don't want to take anyways.

Tell Rich I have fresh arugula if he wants some...I have lots...and lots.

Betty said...

Oh, poor baby! I hope everything smooths out. You are always so lucky! Maybe, it's just a minor crimp. Regardless, your kids will be so happy to see you. Love to them and you!