Saturday, April 18, 2009

Convention and Visitors' Bureau annual Wine Tasting Event

Rich has been working long hours and had to be in the kitchen tonight so Anne and Jeannette agreed to be my dates.

Each wine was paired with a scrumptious bit of food appropriate for the characteristics of the wine. Here are some of our fancy servers.

Look! It's Alaska Steve and Goldfish! Don't they look nice?

My favorite--an heirloom tomato tart.

Some of our lovely servers.

The busy and tired chef at the end of the night. Many compliments to Rich and his hard working crew!

That's Brenda, our new CVB Director, who recently moved here from Texas. And the beautiful Hilary.
Melanie was serving champagne.

Guess who won the big grand prize! Yep, I am on a roll with prize-winning lately. A great basket of wine related items (kind of ironic for the not-much-of-a-drinker, huh?) and a gift certificate for the Sunday Brunch. LOL

It was a fun night. I was there mostly for the food and conversation but did try some of the wines and Rich drove us home, just in case. I am always paranoid if I have even one drink! Rides were also provided tonight so the next Dutch Harbor Fisherman would not be full of DUI arrests, though it seemed like a well behaved crowd. :)

Otherwise, I spent most of the day cleaning my house for book club tomorrow and trying to get the second bedroom ready for Aidan's visit, since it is largely used for storage. What a mess!! We need more closet space or something! I don't know where to put everything. I did take a couple of loads to the dumpster and have a box for the church clothes closet. But it's still crowded in there. Hopefully a 6 year old won't really notice.

Although I should be finishing my book club book, I have been more interested in one of my bargain books that just came from Barnes and Noble online. Called The Brain that Changes Itself, it's an intriguing exploration of research in the area of brain plasticity, how our brains adapt and change, how we can keep our brains alert and active as we age, improved methods of working with stroke patients, individuals with phantom limb pain, people with learning disabilities and mental health issues and more. I am fascinated with all of the potential we have within us.



6 comments:

Suzassippi said...

Looks like a grand event! I am sure the food was delicious.

First time I have seen a picture of Goldfish without the hat--Steve, too now that I think of it. :) They both look lovely.

Nice photo of you and the Chef, too.

Cookie Dough said...

You're on a lucky streak Gigi!! The tart was delicious, but I'm all about the sliders! They're so cute and fun and delicious too.
I'd never been to that event, it was lovely. Serving was fun, I got to visit with everyone :)

Sorry that pic of you was a bit blurry..

Carlisleboy said...

Gosh GG we must have just missesd each other! I was looking through my photos and I do not have one of you either!! Darn it. Next time!! It was crazy serving the champagne, and having to do CVB stuff and tackling some Public Attendant Issues all while trying to be CD's table partner! I hope today is more relaxing for all of us!!

Alaska Steve said...

That was fun, tell Rich the food pairings were fantastic! See you tonight, I still have some reading to do . . . . .

Gigi said...

Yes, it was lots of fun and I'm glad so many people were able to attend. I like the sliders, too, CD. :) Thanks for the compliments to the chef--I have passed them along.

Looks like neither of us finished the book, Steve, but I am newly inspired to get back to it, so thanks for your comments last night. Glad you came to book club!

Gigi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.