Sunday, April 26, 2009

If it's Saturday, it must be time to make some cookies and go to a Coffee House

The Aleutian Arts Council's Coffee House is always a great event showcasing lots of local talent. Rich and I decided to make some "glittery" lemon sandwich cookies to take with us. Here's Rich zesting some lemon.

I'm rolling cookies in sprinkles.

Ready to go into the oven.

Piping lemon frosting between the two halves.

The finished product.

Sharon and Kristine were our MC's at the Coffee House. These two should take their act on the road!

We had a packed house, and in fact, people had to be turned away at the door because we were "at capacity." My friend Donna was meeting us there and she never got in! Rich and I learned last year that the event would be full so we went early and got good seats right up front. Above, you see part of "Our Band." It's always fun to see how much talent we have right here in our own little community. We took a lot of photos but I am annoyed that our small camera does not do well inside with variable lighting. I am including just a sampling but wish the pictures had been better.

Chris is also part of "Our Band."

Shawna and Wendy

Some of our teens, Ryan and Samuel, show off their musical talents. Prestan is back there on the drums.

Vinnie James, musician and recording artist, blew the crowd away. You can definitely tell he's a pro.

Another talented teenager, Kyle.

The house was still rockin' at nearly 11 PM. I think we are going to have to expand to two nights and a bigger venue next time!

I went to the eye doctor on Friday and ordered new glasses, but they won't be here till I get back from Texas. The good news is that my eyes haven't changed much and the bad news is that new glasses cost a fortune in Unalaska! The other good news is that Rich's insurance paid most of the bill. How do people make it if they don't have insurance?? That's a topic for another day.

I also went back to Story Corps on Friday afternoon and recorded another 40 minutes with Anne about social action and social justice work. Oh, my gosh, you know I am a talker when I still did not say everything I could have said. It's so funny to me that some people (Richard Bye included) think they have nothing interesting to say and won't go record their stories. Maybe I am just a narcissist. :) P.S. Susan, now the Abilene Peace and Justice Center and our Peace Camp will be immortalized in the Library of Congress. Who would have thought?!

Saturday I got a haircut and a touch-up on my highlights. It was a little bit of a comedy with a language barrier and someone other than my hairstylist taking my appointment on the phone earlier in the week. The gist of it is that no one seemed to know I was coming, but they worked me in anyway. Now I need to get busy preparing for my trip out on Tuesday! I have lots to do today, a planning meeting for several hours at work tomorrow, and then off to Texas. It is looking like another whirlwind trip with seeing my three girls and families in three different towns, traveling to Bonnie's regional track meet, attending my friend Karen's MSW graduation, and squeezing in visits with lots of friends. I will love every hectic minute of it and am hoping for WARM, if not HOT, weather. Can't wait to see those grandkids!

5 comments:

Cookie Dough said...

That was so fun! You got better pictures than me. Have a great trip! And we loved loved those cookies :) Green sprinkles would've been cute :)

Gigi said...

Yes, I will tell Rich to get green next time! :)

Suzassippi said...

The cookies look wonderful! Bring some to Texas. :)

It looks like great fun at the coffee house.

Hopefully, you will get your hot fix here; it was 84 today in Mississippi, with the wind blowing about a hundred miles per hour.

sarah b. said...

oh, i'm so sorry i missed it! reid gets back to town in one week, and i'll be in town on the 14th for a week and a half...glad to see it was a success!

Lauri said...

Great photos! And those cookies look YUMMY!!!