Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Earth Day

I remember the first Earth Day in 1970, when I was a teenager living in New Jersey and a bunch of us decided we would walk to school that day instead of riding the bus. It was not a short walk since we lived on an Air Force base and our high school was a good little stroll out into the countryside. We were fairly politically active already and understood the meaning of the day, but it still seemed like more of a party than anything else. And we got to show up for school late.

Although I try to be cognizant of my "footprint," I have to admit that I have never been the most environmentally conscious person around. I am always finding things that I could do differently and should be more diligent about, and living in the beautiful Aleutians makes me think of all that we have to lose if we don't take better care of our planet. And yet, we go about our days and don't put much thought into the damage caused by our presence and our habits. Sometimes I think we are just blind and deaf to the ramifications of our lifestyle and we are in denial that anything truly terrible will ever happen.

Our location also makes it harder in some ways to be environmentally strong--we have no recycling, we have no local farmer's market for fresh food, getting in and out in most cases requires airplane fuel. But there are still lots of things that we can do, even in a remote location, to take better care of our home. Turn off the lights, keep the thermostat at a reasonable level, don't leave the water running, take a canvas bag to the Eagle store instead of bringing home more paper or plastic, take care of your vehicle, walk, ride a bike, catch your own food, pick berries, reduce your waste. I am always amazed at how much trash just Rich and I seem to generate, and I am the world's worst at getting a "to-go" cup of tea instead of carrying my own re-usable container. I think I am always looking forward to "someday" when we might live somewhere with public transit or where we will recycle or go to farmer's markets or have our own garden but I need to be thinking about what I can do in the present instead! It's Earth Day.

On a related note, we had some wild weather yesterday. In the morning, it was raining and blowing like crazy and by afternoon, the sun was out again. I was soaking wet and nearly knocked over by the wind just walking from the parking lot to the door at work. It reminded me of Rich's comment in the past that winds like this would be given a name anywhere else. I heard Daniel say something funny on the radio along those same lines, "In Florida, they call this a hurricane; in Unalaska, we call it Tuesday."

7 comments:

Cookie Dough said...

Ohh funny! We had that same conversation here. Anywhere else it'd have a name...we call it Tuesday. The wind got our sliding glass door, flipped it open and cracked the glass! Alena and I happened to see it happen, good thing nobody was standing there! But it feels good now, doesn't it???

Great thoughts on Earth Day...I need to be better. I do recycle packing materials and get the FCF produce. I know I could do more, like bring bags to the store, I even have them, I just forget!

Anonymous said...

Jane, I just love you. You have a way of letting us know that we probably all could use some improvement, but you seem to take on the responsibility onto yourself! Yes, we can all do better. Happy Earth Day, everyone. I am just amazed that I was a junior in high school on the 1st celebration! It really wasn't that long ago!?!?

Unknown said...

I love how you used to buy us shirts for Earth Day. I wonder if anyone still makes them...that would be a fun thing to do with our kids.

bonnie said...

I don't know why that last comment came up as David...it was me, Bonnie!

Kathi said...

I remember that first Earth Day, too, Jane! It was fun walking to school. We picked up trash along the way and then had a sit-in at Northern. I've been involved with several Earth Days here, helping out with a vegetarian booth at the big celebration. Vegetarianism is one way to help the earth, by the way. I, too, could do more-that's for sure. My students were amazed that I participated in the FIRST ONE- one said, "Wow, I didn't know you were THAT OLD, Mrs. K." Gee-thanks, kids. :)

Suzassippi said...

I confess we had a big Earth Day celebration in the Grove today...and I did not even know it was Earth Day. Sadly, it is so hard to reduce our footprint in many ways. Like how hard it is some places to recycle for instance. And turning in our bottles, cans, paper, etc, is only helpful if we complete the circle by buying recycled goods. I love how Arlington makes it so easy--put out a bin with all the recycle items in the bin and they pick it up--period.

I have to say the 're-use' is alive and well here--it's why we all put stuff on the side of the road for someone to pick up rather than put it in the trash. :) And, the university is great at having recycle bins all over the campus and we are going green. Maybe there is hope for us all to contribute.

I did turn out all my lights on Turn the Lights off Night. :)

Gigi said...

I know, Sharon and Kathi, how could we possibly be that old and how could it have been so long ago?!!

Bonnie, I totally forgot about the shirts. I am sure you can find one somewhere. I will have to remember to buy them for the grandkids next year and continue that little tradition!! :) And by the way, I was really happy to have a comment from Dave but it didn't make ANY sense to me. LOL

CD, that is a crazy wind to crack your door. I am not good about bringing bags to the store either. Mostly because we like to re-use THEIR bags for trash and kitty litter disposal (yuck).

Suz, you are the queen of dragging stuff to the road to be picked up by anyone who wants it.

We can all do better but it's not about blame, just about educating ourselves and being persistent, right? :)