Wednesday, April 29, 2009

All I really wanted was some iced tea

Checked into my hotel in Seattle, hungry, and mostly thirsty, after traveling all day. Nothing sounded all that great to me but I really wanted a glass of iced tea so I called room service and ordered a grilled cheese sandwich, feeling like it was kinda silly to just order a drink. I asked if they had rye bread and the guy said yes. I asked if they had iced tea and he said yes. I asked if it was brewed or from the fountain and he said from the fountain. I asked if I could have a cup of hot tea, a glass of ice and a lemon. He said yes.

Soon I had a knock on my door and room service was delivered. I had a glass of ice, a straw and two lemons. No tea. The delivery dude realized it at the same time I did and offered to go back and get it. I knew I should tell him it was okay, don't bother, but you know that's what I really wanted so I couldn't bring myself to blow it off. He came back shortly with a little pot of tea and I gave him a nice little tip. I lifted off the plate cover and tasted the worst soggy-white-bread with-American-cheese grilled cheese sandwich ever. Where's my rye? Where's my good cheese?

At least I had my tea. I pulled out my bag of wheat crackers, string cheese and grapes that I'd been carrying in my backpack since yesterday. They tasted great and I am sorry I wasted money on that damned grilled cheese. Next time I will just order a drink and not worry about making such a small purchase!

So today was another little adventure. I called the airport about 9:30 and asked if I should come down at 10 with everyone else or just keep my seat on the 1:05 plane. I was told I might as well keep my 1:05 flight because they were still working on the plane with mechanical problems and it might not go anywhere. However, I was told to come between 10:30 and 11:00 to check in for the afternoon flight. Rich picked me up and I just had my suitcase with me, thinking that I was not going to stay at the airport that early. As we were getting into the car, I said, "it would be just my luck that they would tell me I can go on the earlier flight and I won't have my carry on stuff." We even considered throwing it in the car "just in case," but decided against it. We arrived at the airport and were told that I could go on the 11 AM after all. Rich ran back home to get my backpack, jacket and blanket while I checked in. I could get out of Anchorage earlier but still could not make it to Dallas in one day. I decided to go ahead and take the earlier flights just to get on my way. Poor Rich--I was just frustrated and annoyed with everything and being very petty. I was upset because I was no longer on the aisle for the later flights and was going to have to sit between people. I hate the middle seat!! I was annoyed because now I would have to pick up my suitcase in Seattle instead of checking it all the way through to Dallas. Rich was trying to get me to look on the bright side--at least I was getting to Seattle early enough to go to a hotel and get some sleep instead of staying in the airport for several hours overnight. I don't know, maybe it's my menopausal hormones but I was just a big ole baby. I did sidle back up to the counter after everyone was taken care of and asked if they would switch me to the aisle for my other two flights, which they kindly did, and I felt a little better. :)

We didn't leave till 11:30, got to ANC and had to hurry up to catch my flight to Seattle, but the Security line was a mile long and very slow...only one worker who was in slo-mo the whole time. I eventually cleared through and got to my gate at 2:45 where the plane was in final boarding mode and an Alaska Air employee was yelling at a man in front of me, "SIR, get off your phone and BOARD RIGHT NOW if you want to be on this plane." He and I were the last two on the packed plane. So thankful for my aisle seat as we were crammed in like that sardine cliche. The guy in the middle was big and overflowing into my space (I heard him say he was a personal trainer so I mean big in a good way) and I know he was uncomfortable. At one point, all three of us in our row got up for the restroom so he and I were waiting for Mr. Window Seat to return while lamenting the middle seat. He said, "But you are small!" I think he wanted me to offer to trade him but I did not. I just smiled and said, "But I still hate the middle seat." That's probably more bad karma for me.

Got to SEA-TAC at 7:35 PM, got my luggage and tried to priceline a room but it was apparently too late to do that for tonight. Found one on cheaptickets and the shuttle came right away and I called my sweet hubby and checked my emails and saw the end of American Idol (a show I never used to watch or care about and suddenly the last two seasons I am into it! ADAM had better win!) and now we are back to the part about the iced tea.

I have to get up at 5 AM so guess I will get myself to bed. By the time I get to Dallas, I will just have to wait at the airport for my flight to Amarillo; Sarah and Elle will have to meet me at the gate instead of having time to run around and visit. We heard from Bonnie that the regional track meet has been cancelled due to swine flu fears in Texas. I feel bad for the kids who won't get to run but at least we will have the whole weekend with Bonnie and David instead of traveling to Lubbock for the meet. I'm not sure what to think about this swine flu thing. Hopefully we will all stay healthy!

7 comments:

Suzassippi said...

I am tired just reading all of that! It sounds like things are going better, though, so hope the trip to Amarillo goes well.

Gigi said...

Thanks, up early and on my way to the airport!

Sarah Durham said...

I can not believe you want Adam to win!! We need to talk about this when you get here :) Yes, he is very talented, but it is AMERICAN IDOL not "Who wants to be on Broadway"! He is way too theatrical for me....drives me insane. Love you though :)

Gigi said...

LOL Sarah! Can't believe you don't like Adam!

Cookie Dough said...

poor Gigi..I think I got all the good travel karma. great weather, all basically on time, we landed 15min early in Kodiak...but it was sunny and calm at home when I left. BUT that same slow person was at securtiy in ANC it took FOREVER!
Be safe and healthy in TX...kind of scary.

Betty said...

I got a little confused there so had to back-track and read it again. Glad things are picking up for you. Did you ever get your iced tea?

Kathi said...

Those of us who live in swine flu central really aren't worried at all. It's turning out to be very mild, and the largest school districts in San Antonio are NOT shutting down unlike most of our neighbors. I think the business leaders got a-hold of the superintendents and told them if they shut down the schools, the city will pretty much shut down too because all of the parents will have to stay home with their kids! Something like 40,000 people a year die of regular flu in this country- we never really hear about that. The school district spokesperson said that we'll only close down if there's a 12 percent or worse attendance rate. They (the goofballs) put that in the paper, so all of the high schoolers are madly texting each other to take off a couple of days in the interest of getting 2 free weeks off! ha- I hope they do it- I'd be off, too! Anyway, I hope you stay healthy and have a great trip. I read that all of the track meets were back on as of yesterday...