Sunday, April 19, 2009

Book Club

Monthly book club is a great time to get together with friends and talk about books and life. This month, we read Younghusband: The Last Great Imperial Adventurer by Patrick French. Unfortunately, most of us had not had time to finish the book! What does that tell you about our busy lives?! Shawn, seated on the left, was the only one who completed it and she gave us some interesting morsels to look forward to reading. I have had a little bit of trouble getting into it, but I do like biographies and I am now more motivated to finish. Judi and Steve round out the photo with Shawn. It is always interesting to hear everyone's interpretation of the same reading and I appreciate insights that I might not have necessarily picked up.

My fabulous husband volunteered to make some food for our gathering. This after working late last night and getting up super early this morning, working Brunch, and then spending the afternoon on these little items. Am I spoiled or what? Above, we have several treats--a grilled zucchini roll-up with French chevre, mint and Japanese mustard leaf, harissa and red bell pepper; Spanish piquillo red peppers with rosemary, basil leaf, fresh mozzarella and a balsamic reduction; and a little skewer of tomato, cucumber, olive, and cheese. Delicious! I failed to get a photo before we dug in. :)

A lovely mini salad of greens and Japanese mizuna, asian brown pears, candied pecans, dried black mission figs, Danish bleu, and a raspberry walnut vinaigrette.

Here are Sonia and Anne talking about imperialism, trying to kill a sibling, hovercraft v. boat, moving to Antarctica or something along one of those lines. :) Our conversations may start with the book but we get pretty far afield at times. Which makes it all the more fun.

Though we tried to have healthy food for the vegetarian, the gluten intolerant, and the Biggest Winner members, I just couldn't resist a little dessert parfait to top off the veggies. I know, I know, it kinda cancels everything out, doesn't it? Starting from the bottom of the glass, we have a ginger snap, banana pudding, chunks of fudge cream cake, whipped cream, ligonberry sauce, bavarian cream and a candied walnut. Mmmmm, mmmmm, mmmmm. Thanks, Rich!

We only have one more meeting of Book Club and that's at Steve's house before we take the summer off. It's looking like spring and everyone is itching to spend more time outside than inside. Then in August, we will meet again to choose books for the next year and start all over again.


3 comments:

Suzassippi said...

I don't know about the book or the book club, but the food looks incredible. A little mini-salad! "Spoiled" is not the right word for it. What a guy [sigh].

Gigi said...

Yeah, what can I say?!! He's the best. :) I just ride on his coat tails all over town.

Unalaska Steve said...

The food was amazing and I love your apartment - right on the water! Thanks for hosting!